As I was walking, on my daily walk/run, trying to come up with some ideas for a new sci-fi story I started working on a couple of days ago, I smelled something that got me thinking a little deeper.
When I walk, I usually notice a few things that are so very prominent in nature and the real world that can either be a turn-on or a turn-off. The turn-offs, mostly smells and odors that don’t agree with the human nose. The turn-ons, mostly anything visual or have a great odor, in regard to nature.
I’m not saying that all smells and odors are turn-offs and I am not saying that visual things are turn-ons, though. Sometimes you have to use your imagination to put you onto those different planes of thoughts. Examples, from today:
- Dog poop. This started the entire thought process. I guess not everyone picks up after their animals
- Fish. Yes, you can smell fish. I learned this when my ex-father-in-law took me fishing, and I pass a tiny waterfall.
- Wet grass. People usually water their grass in the morning.
- Diesel exhaust. A UPS truck just passed by.
- Garbage. A garbage truck just passed by.
- Death. Yes, something has to be dead in the bushes I just passed by. I once found a body in the bushed like the ones I am passing through now, and I worked in a hospital for 30 years, I remember the smell of blood.
- Cologne. Yes, some guy passed by with his window down and the fragrance was strong in this one.
- Cigarette smoke. Once passing by a house. The second time someone driving by.
- Wood or sawdust. A developer is building a brand new house, about a mile away from where I live and I guess a worker was cutting wood.
- I am guessing some sort of fruit tree or bush? It’s blooming and the flowers are hanging over most of the sidewalk. I take a deep breath when I pass it every day.
- Manure. That odor is plentiful along my walk. People are spreading it in their gardens or where ever they are spreading it.
- Tar. Yes, tar. Many houses along my route are sealing their driveways with, whatever that stuff is.
- Flowers. Don’t ask me what kind of flowers, but they are blooming right now, well, they have been for the last month. I did notice that the flowers in front of my house just bloomed yesterday.
- Water. That is, water from a hose. You more or less smell the rubber. I remember that odor from my childhood when we use to drink from the hose. Something you don’t do nowadays.
- Something that smelled like bar-b-que sauce. Someone was cooking on the grill today.
Yes, a few hours in my life as I run back home.